Palestinian assailants late on Friday shot and killed a security guard at the entrance of a Jewish settlement in the occupied West Bank, the Israeli military said, in a fresh attack that could further fuel Israeli-Palestinian tensions.

Early Saturday, the Israeli military said that the attackers arrived at Ariel settlement entrance and shot the guard in his post before fleeing the scene. The military launched a pursuit of the suspects in the West Bank.

Also read: Fresh clashes reported at Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa Mosque, 12 injured

A string of Palestinian attacks in Israel and the West Bank over the past two months have left 14 Israelis dead.

Hamas, the militant group ruling Gaza, praised the attack but stopped short of claiming responsibility for it.

“The operation proves that revolution is raging all over the West Bank,” said spokesman Hazem Qassem. “This is a practical implementation of our people’s declaration that Jerusalem is a red line.”

Also read: Death threat looms over Israel PM’s family after receiving bullet in mail

Tensions have increased at a major Jerusalem holy site this month, with Palestinian worshippers clashing daily with Israeli police.

The site contains Al-Aqsa Mosque, the third holiest site in Islam, and increasing numbers of Palestinians go there to pray during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

Also read: Israel observes Holocaust memorial day, honors 6 million Jews killed

Earlier, Palestinians hurled stones and Israeli police fired rubber-coated bullets at the site, which has seen a wave of unrest in recent weeks.

The police say Palestinians inside the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound began hurling stones and fireworks around dawn in the direction of a heavily guarded gate that leads to the Western Wall, the holiest place where Jews can pray. The police advanced into the compound, firing rubber-coated bullets.

Also read: Israel closes crossing to Gaza workers after Hamas rocket attacks

The violence ended around an hour later after other Palestinians in the compound intervened, convincing the stone throwers and the police to pull back.

The Palestinian Red Crescent emergency service said more than 40 people were wounded, with 22 requiring treatment at local hospitals. It said Israeli forces prevented first responders from entering the compound during the clashes, and that one of its medics was beaten by police.

Also read: Injury toll of Palestine-Israel clashes in Jerusalem climbs to 153

The police did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but said in a statement they had arrested three people.

The Al-Aqsa Mosque compound is built on a hilltop that is the most sacred site for Jews, who refer to it as the Temple Mount because it was the location of the Jewish temples in antiquity. It has long been a flashpoint in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.