Travis King, US soldier who was detained after crossing North Korean border without permission on Tuesday was already facing multiple assault allegations including punching a man as well as a fine for damaging a police vehicle.

King, 23, Army Private 2nd Class allegedly punched a man several times in the face at a club on September 25 last year, according to court records. Korean authorities were again called on October in an incident involving Kin, who was allegedly displaying “aggressive behavior,” according to the court documents. At the time, King was reportedly put in the back seat of the patrol car and started shouting expletives and insults aimed at Koreans.

Also Read | Who is Travis King? US Army member detained after crossing North Korean border without permission

He is also accused of kicking the patrol car door several times, which resulted in about 584,000 won, or $460, in damages. King later pleaded guilty to charges of assault and destruction of public goods. He also paid $790 to repair the patrol car, the court stated.

According to New York Post, King was  facing disciplinary action from the US military. On February 8, this year, the Seoul Western District Court fined him 5 million won, or $3,950.

Following the October incident, the solider spent time in US military detention in Pyeongtaek, South Korea. He was all set to fly back to the US when he slipped his military escort. He was then spotted wearing civilian clothes at a tour of the Joint Security Area. It is the border village in the demilitarized zone between South and North Korea, which is guarded by soldiers from both sides.

Also Read | Mother of US soldier who ran off to North Korea says ‘I can’t see him defecting, want him to come home’

“It took everybody a second to react and grasp what had actually happened, then we were ordered into and through Freedom House and running back to our military bus,” a Swedish visitor who was on King’s tour wrote about moment he ran across the border cackling loudly.

“I thought it was a bad joke at first, but when he didn’t come back, I realized it wasn’t a joke, and then everybody reacted and things got crazy,” another witness said.