Meghan Markle and Prince Harry on Sunday made certain revelations about the life after marriage in the royal family, their relationship with the Queen and Buckingham Palace. Talking to US TV host Oprah Winfrey, Meghan said that she entered the royal family without any prior research.
She opened up about battling suicidal thoughts, facing racism and how she felt isolated during her time in London.
She married Prince Harry in 2018 and the couple stepped down from their royal duties in 2020. They moved to California in the US and live there with their son Archie and are now expecting their second child. The couple also revealed the gender of their second child.
Here are key takeaways from the interview:
- 39-year-old Meghan wanted to end her life after a barrage of negative media coverage she faced as part of the royal family. "I knew that if I didn't say it, that I would do it. And I... just didn't want to be alive anymore. And that was a very clear and real and frightening constant thought," she told Oprah Winfrey.
- Meghan was denied help for her mental health crisis. "I went to one of the most senior people just to -- to get help," she said. "I was told that I couldn't, that it wouldn't be good for the institution." She ultimately reached out to one of the late Princess Diana's best friends for support.
- Colour of her son was discussed even before he was born. Meghan, whose father is white and mother is Black, said Harry had revealed to her official concerns among the royals about the skin colour of her unborn son, Archie. "In those months when I was pregnant... we have in tandem the conversation of 'he won't be given security, he's not going to be given a title' and also concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he's born," Meghan said. "Those were conversations the family had with him.
- The former TV actor also revealed it was Kate Middleton who made her cry before the wedding. "Everyone in the institution knew it wasn't true," Meghan told Winfrey of the alleged incident, claiming that in reality: "The reverse happened." Kate, she said, "was upset about something, but she owned it, and she apologized." "A few days before the wedding, she was upset about something pertaining -- yes, the issue was correct -- about flower girl dresses, and it made me cry, and it really hurt my feelings."
- Prince Harry spoke candidly about his relationship with Prince Charles, Harry said had he felt "really let down" by his father throughout the painful episode -- but that they were now talking to one another.
- He described Charles -- the heir to the throne -- and Harry's older brother William as "trapped" by the conventions of the monarchy, but vowed that he would "always love" his father.
- He said that they "did everything we could" to stay in the royal family.
- The couple got exchanged their vows three days before the televised ceremony secretly and no one knew about it.
- The couple revealed the gender of their second child, chiming in tandem "It's a girl!" and confirming the baby was due in "summertime."
- Asked if they were "done" with two children, Harry replied: "done." "Two is it," quipped Meghan.