The Academy Awards 2021, best known as Oscars, took place in Los Angeles on Sunday with a movie-style opening credits sequence as actor-director Regina King walked into the ceremony’s train station venue clutching a gold statuette. Nomadland was the biggest winner in the award show, as it won Best Director, Best Actress and the Best Picture Award.
The Academy Awards took place in-person — shifted to a glammed-up Union Station to enable strict COVID-19 protocols — at a ceremony that reunites Hollywood A-listers for the first time in over a year.
Here are the highlights from the Academy Awards:
– Chloe Zhao won the award for best directing for her elegiac road movie ‘Nomadland’. The movie is about aging Americans roaming the west in vans. Read full story here.
– Best Actor in the Supporting role award goes to Daniel Kaluuya for his role in ‘Judas and the Black Messiah’. He beat a packed field including his co-star in the film Lakeith Stanfield, along with Sacha Baron Cohen (“The Trial of the Chicago 7”), Leslie Odom, Jr. (“One Night in Miami”) and Paul Raci (“Sound of Metal”).
– ‘Another Round‘, a film from Denmark, wins the best international feature film award.
– ‘The Father’ wins the Best Adapted Screenplay award.
– Emerald Fennell wins the award Original Screenplay award for writing the film ‘Promising Young Woman’.
– Colette, by Anthony Giacchino and Alice Doyard, wins best Documentary Short Subject
– ‘My Octopus Teacher’ wins best Documentary Feature award
– Yuh-Jung Youn wins best supporting actress Oscar for “Minari”
– Mank wins Oscars for Best Production Design and Best Cinematography
– “Sound of Metal” wins for best film editing
– Tyler Perry wins the Humanitarian Award
– ‘Soul’ wins Oscars for Best Original Score
“Fight For You” is music to Academy voters ears as it wins best original sound award
– Frances McDormand wins Best Actress
– Nomadland wins the best picture award
– Anthony Hopkins wins best actor award
Also read: Oscars 2021: Artists looking to win big in their first nomination
The guest list was strictly limited, with even studio execs forced to watch on television, and most of the Hollywood press corps absent.
Also read: Academy Awards 2021: 7 facts that only an Oscar geek would know
‘Nomadland‘ has swept most of the awards shows in the run-up to the Oscars and its director Chloe Zhao is also tipped to become the second woman, and first of colour, to win the golden statuette for best director.
Contenders like ‘Promising Young Woman’ and ‘The Trial of the Chicago 7’ tapped into themes of #MeToo and anti-racism protest that feel more relevant than ever.
Also read: The Oscars: Five memorable moments
The main business of handing out Oscars took place at the 1930s-built station, distinctive for its Spanish colonial and Art Deco stylings.