If you consume a large quantity of sugar on a regular basis you are exposed to a plethora of diseases such as obesity, liver disease, heart ailments and diabetes. Keeping that in mind, a number of people are making a health-conscious switch to healthier alternatives such as coconut sugar.

As Omicron spreads in US, contact tracing increased in some states

Coconut sugar is extracted from the sap of the coconut palm. It is extracted by collecting the coconut palm’s  sap in a container and then it is processed by heating it until most of the water evaporates.

Coconut sugar has a brown shade, which gives it an appearance similar to raw sugar. However, the size of the particles of coconut sugar is much smaller than those of raw sugar.

How does the consumption of vegetable fat affect risk of strokes?

Here are 7 reasons for switching to coconut sugar:

Good for cooking and baking

Its similarity in texture to brown sugar makes it great for baking. Its distinctive flavour also adds value. It can be used to add a sweet flavour in vegan delicacies or beverages like coffee and tea.

Free of animal extracts

Refined sugar often has additives like bone char (extracts of animal bone) which gives it the typical white colour. On the other hand, coconut sugar is unprocessed, making it a healthier option.

Filled with goodness of electrolytes

Coconut sugar is rich in potassium, magnesium and sodium amongst several other electrolytes. The amount of potassium present in coconut sugar is 400 times more than the amount present in regular sugar.

Fact Check: Is there any movie called ‘The Omicron Variant’?

Good source of inulin

Coconut sugar is rich in inulin, which is important to keep the gut healthy. It also prevents colon cancer while improving a person’s digestion and metabolism.

Low sugar

Coconut sugar contains 75% sugar while the remaining 25% is made up of dietary fibre, nutrients and antioxidants.

6 health benefits of sleeping on your back

Rich in nutrients

Coconut sugar helps in boosting immunity and building resistance against seasonal ailments thanks to the presence of Vitamin C. It is rich in nitrogen, which helps improve cardiovascular health.

Low glycemic index

It has a glycemix index of 35 as compared to that of refined sugar which has it around 65. Coconut sugar’s glycemic index is in the range of fresh fruits of around 25.