Miles Bridges pleaded no contest to one felony count of hurting a child’s parent on Thursday in Los Angeles, agreeing to do so in return for three years of probation and no jail time.
The restricted free agent will also be required to complete 100 hours of community service, 52 weeks of parenting instruction, and 52 weeks of domestic violence counselling as part of the agreement. He had been charged with three felonies: the one he didn’t contest and the other two were child abuse in circumstances or settings where there was a high likelihood of death or significant bodily harm.
The accusations stemmed from alleged complaints that he assaulted his fiancée in front of their two children in June, according to the district attorney for Los Angeles County.
“We believe this resolution was the best avenue to hold Mr. Bridges accountable for his conduct,” the district attorney’s office said. “We also understand through the victim’s representatives that the victim wanted an expedited resolution of the case. The victim and her representatives were consulted about the proposed resolution and agreed with the outcome of the case.”
Just before the start of this summer’s free agency era, Bridges was charged. Bridges was coming off a season in which he averaged a career-high 20.2 points, 7.0 rebounds, and 3.8 assists per game, all figures that would have brought him a sizable salary.
His NBA future, at least in the short term, remains most unclear. It’s possible that he still may face disciplinary action from the league, and it would be difficult for some teams to consider signing Bridges given that the season has started and rosters are full in many cases.
Bridges also must adhere to a 10-year criminal protective order for the victim, weekly narcotics and marijuana testing, and restitution for the victim, the district attorney’s office said. A restitution hearing is scheduled for January 13.