Parents of the students of CHCCS have raised concern over the safety and security of their children who are stuck in campus due to the indefinite lockdown ensued as a result of a shooting incident at UNC, Chapel Hill with the perpetrator still at large.

The campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill was on lockdown Monday afternoon after reports of an “armed, dangerous person on or near campus.”

The institution advised students to remain in their current location with a “suspect at large,” according to The Associated Press, after the initial alert to those on campus was sent out after 1 p.m.

Also Read: Who is Tailei Qi, person of interest in University of North Carolina shooting?

Numerous helicopters and dozens of police officers were sent to the scene.

A science building was being evacuated of pupils more than two hours after it began.

Classes were postponed for the rest of the day, according to The Washington Post.

North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper (D) stated on X that he has spoken with the county sheriff and the secretary of the North Carolina Department of Public Safety. He also stated that he has promised, “all state resources needed to capture the shooter and protect the UNC Campus,” according to the Post.

Also Read: University of North Carolina shooter still at large, Chapel Hill campus on lockdown after shooting alert

The school called it “the active assailant situation” in the campus Alert Carolina system, WTVD reported.

CNN reported that UNC-Chapel Hill has about 32,000 students, 4,000 faculty and 9,000 staff.

Police released an image of a “person of interest” they are looking for after shots were fired on the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Monday afternoon.

According to the Daily Tar Heel, nearby Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools also received a security alert, and the system will be in “Secure Mode” until given the all-clear by officials.

The Daily Tar Heel reported that someone was reportedly questioned in relation to the incident. However, the suspect was still at large as of 2:25 p.m.