The former Duke of Sussex, Prince Harry, in his first interview since leaving the Royal family and moving to California last year, told American interviewer Oprah Winfrey that he was concerned about “history repeating itself.” Two brief clips of the interview of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, which will air on March 7 on the CBS broadcast network, were released by the broadcaster on Sunday.
Harry, sitting beside Meghan, 39, while holding her hands, told Oprah, “My biggest concern was history repeating itself,” as he apparently referred to the death of her mother Princess Diana, who died in a car crash at the age of 36 in Paris after her divorce from Prince Charles.
“I’m just really relieved and happy to be sitting here talking to you with my wife by my side,” Harry said, adding, “Because I can’t imagine what it must have been like for her (Diana), going through this process by herself all those years ago.”
The 36-year-old said, “It’s been unbelievably tough for the two of us, but at least we had each other.”
The two announced in February that they are expecting their second child.
Before moving to California, Harry and Meghan had complained about the treatment of 39-year-old ‘Suits’ actor by the British tabloids, accusing them of bullying or racism. Meghan’s father is white and her mother is African-American.
Oprah, in the brief clips, said that the couple has said “some pretty shocking things here,” including that their situation had been “almost unsurvivable,” as the 67-year-old said that no subject was off-limits in the interview.
Harry and Meghan have given up their honorary titles and they won’t be returning to their lives as working members of the royal family, Buckingham Palace announced in February.