Thousands of protestors stormed into the official residence of Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa on Saturday. Video clips posted on social media show people climbing walls, packing into rooms and corridors and also swimming in his pool. 

Also read: Watch: Protestors swim in Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa’s pool

An angry crowd also marched on the streets of Colombo as Sri Lanka is facing unprecedented economic crisis. The country is muddling through with aid from India and other countries as its leaders try to negotiate a bailout with the International Monetary Fund. The economic meltdown has led to severe shortages of essential items, leaving people struggling to buy food, fuel and other necessities.

The turmoil has led to months of protests, which have nearly dismantled the Rajapaksa political dynasty that has ruled Sri Lanka for most of the past two decades.

Also Read| Crisis-hit Sri Lanka lifts curfew order after backlash

On Saturday, at least 30 people, including two policement, were injured in the clashed between security personnel and protestors demanding the president’s resignation. Sri Lanka Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe, whose residence is reportedly occupied by protestors, said that he is willing to step down and make way for a new government. 

When all of this is transpiring, Gotabaya Rajapaksa’s whereabouts are not known. According to sources, the President had been moved out of his residence on Friday, in anticipation of Saturday’s protests.  Reports have surfaced that luggage was rushed on to the Sri Lanka Navy Ship Gajabahu anchored at the Colombo Port, News 1st channel reported on Saturday.

Also Read| Rise in Sri Lanka’s economic crisis should be warning to us all: United Nations

“The Harbour Master at the Colombo Port said that a group boarded the SLNS Sindurala and SLNS Gajabahu and left the port,” it added.

He said he cannot provide details of the manifest or about those who boarded the vessels, the channel said.

Earlier, a viral video on social media showed a VIP motorcade reaching the Colombo international airport where a SriLanka Airlines aircraft was parked.