The shooter who went on a shooting spree in Auckland, leaving two dead and six injured, has been identified.
Before he was fatally injured in a lift shaft early on Thursday morning, Matu Tangi Matua Reid, 24, fired shots at a number of people and at least one police officer.
The injured officer is expected to have surgery on Thursday. ‘The offender fired at police and injured an officer. Shots were exchanged and the offender was later found deceased,’ Police Commissioner Andrew Koster said.
He was serving a five-month home detention sentence as of the time of the shooting after being found guilty of domestic violence offenses on March 28 in Auckland District Court.
He was allowed to move from the South Auckland property where he was completing his home detention to the construction site. An ankle bracelet monitor was used to keep track of his sentence of home confinement.
Reid had already admitted to charges of obstructing breathing, wounding with intent to injure, intentional damage, and male assaults female when he first stood for sentencing in the Auckland District Court earlier this year.
When he came before Judge Stephen Bonnar KC on March 28 to receive a punishment for the four offenses, he was given a five-month home detention sentence.
Home detention often requires sentenced offenders to remain at their authorized residence, however, there may be conditions allowing them to continue working at a specific, authorized place of business.
According to police, the shooter entered the building before opening fire at around 7:20 in the morning. Within minutes, police were on the scene and discovered two deceased bystanders.
‘At around 8am our armed offenders squad supported by the special tactics group located the offender inside a lift shaft where he had barricaded himself and attempted to engage him, having secured the floors above and below,’ Police Commissioner Andrew Koster said.