North Haven firefighter, Matthias Wirtz died extinguishing a
residential fire in the city early morning on Monday. None of the residents of
the four-family home on Quinnipiac Avenue was injured in the fire. 

Also Read | Who is Terese L. White, Texas flight attendant found guilty of fentanyl possession? 

All four units of the building were damaged due to the blaze. The
Red Cross will assist 13 residents who have been displaced as a consequence.
North Haven fire officials said that the State Police Fire Investigations Unit
will take command of this probe. Officials are still investigating the scene,
and have not determined a cause for the fire yet.

Also Read | Who is Vincent Gillespie, son of renowned painter convicted in January 6 Capitol attack?

Who was Matthias Wirtz?

Matthias Wirtz was a 46-year-old firefighter. He was serving North
Haven Fire Department since the past 22 years. The incident started when a
2-alarm blaze erupted in a home on Quinnipiac Avenue at around 1 am. Supportive
crews from nearby communities were called in and the fire was put out by 4:30

Also Read | Who is Rashawn Gaston-Anderson?

Wirtz was found injured outside of the home during this operation,
where he was operating a fire engine. In an immediate response, medical care
was initiated, and he was moved to Yale-New Haven Hospital for life-threatening
injuries, informed North Haven Fire Chief Paul Januszewski. 

Also Read | Who is Katie Sigmond? TikTok influencer fined for striking golf ball into Grand Canyon

The veteran firefighter was pronounced dead at the hospital. “It’s
a tragic loss for the North Haven Fire Department and all of our families. He
was everybody’s friend,” said Januszewski.

The 46-year-old was among the members who responded to the 9-11
World Trade Center Attacks, city officials said in a press release. He started
his firefighting career as a volunteer with North Haven’s North East Volunteer
Fire Company #4 in 1996.

Also Read | What is Lion Diet? Viral TikTok trend has teens eating salt, meat and water

His body will be taken from the hospital to the Office of the
Chief Medical Examiner in Farmington where an autopsy will be conducted, fire
officials said.