After numerous cabinet ministers’ residences were set on fire, Sri Lanka Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa‘s house in Kurunegala, in the northwestern region, was also set ablaze, just hours after the leader tendered his resignation to President Gotabaya Rajapaksa.

Also read: Sri Lankan Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa resigns: Local media

– According to an AFP reporter, shots were fired from inside the Sri Lankan prime minister’s official residence on Monday, as thousands of protestors breached the main gate and set fire to a parked truck.

– Police also used tear gas to disperse demonstrators in retaliation for a previous attack on their force by supporters of the outgoing Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa.

– Police sources stated that shots were fired into the air to prevent the mob from breaching the inner security ring of Rajapaksa’s residence, where he was still holed up with other followers after resigning.

– According to authorities, governing party lawmaker Amarakeerthi Athukorala shot two persons, killing a 27-year-old man, and then committed suicide after being besieged by a throng of anti-government demonstrators outside Colombo.

Also read: In the making: A South Asian economic crisis?

– Authorities also said that another ruling-party official who was not identified opened fire on anti-government protesters in the southern town of Weeraketiya, killing two and injuring five.

– Sri Lankan police have announced that the country’s escalating violence has killed five people and injured hundreds.

– Anti-government demonstrators set fire to the official mansions of Moratuwa Mayor Saman Lal Fernando and MPs Sanath Nishantha, Ramesh Pathirana, Mahipala Herath, Thissa Kuttiarachchi, and Nimal Lanza earlier on Monday.

Also read: Sri Lanka’s President declares emergency amid protests over economic crisis

– Protesters, including members of the Inter-University Students Federation (IUSF), took to the streets and attacked Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna MPs. According to the Daily Mirror, certain Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) offices were set ablaze.