On January 6, Mexico celebrates Dia de los Reyes, also known as Epiphany, to remember the Three Wise Men. This celebration commemorates the day the Three Wise Men—Los Tres Reyes Magos—gave Jesus Christ gifts, and it marks the end of the Christmas season. Additionally, it’s the day when Mexicans exchange gifts with each other.
According to the biblical story, Melchior, Caspar, and Balthazar, the Three Kings (also known as wise men or magi), followed the Bethlehem Star to find the location of Baby Jesus’ birth. They gave the infant presents made of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
Also Read | What is Russian Orthodox Christmas?
Mexicans serve Rosca de Reyes, or King’s Cake, on Da de Los Reyes. Rosca means wreath and reyes means kings. Rosca de Reyes, has an oval shape to symbolize a crown, with a doll inside, which stands in for baby Jesus. The doll represents the infant Jesus being hidden from King Herod’s troops.
The Three Kings, as opposed to Santa Claus, are the Christmas gift givers of choice for children in Latin America and Spain. The kids write a wish list for the Three Kings on top of their old shoes before they go to bed. The shoes are stuffed with toys and presents from the Three Kings in the morning.
Also Read | Who is Ovidio Guzman, son of Joaquin ‘El Chapo’ Guzman? Drug cartel boss arrested in Mexico after shootings
Here is a list of wishes and quotes for a perfect Dia De Reyes to share with your loved ones:
1. That gifts of this day, love, hope and faith, stay for the entire year. Happy Three Kings Day!
2. Today is a beautiful day to remember that we are all family and that baby Jesus lives within us.
3. You’ve been a good kid and therefore deserve the best. Be sure to behave as you have always so you will always receive our visit. Happy Three Kings Day!
Also Read | Andretti Global, Cadillac join hands in bid for all-American F1 team
4. Son, the three kings left a special message for you, they told me that because you behaved so good they left these gifts for you. Continue to behave the way you do and they will always be proud of you. Happy Epiphany!
5. We hope you enjoy the gifts we have left you but most importantly that you enjoy the time you spend with your family. Happy Three Kings Day!
6. Today is a special night to remember that we are all one big family and the child God lives among us, Happy Three Kings Day.
Also Read | Who is Noah Schnapp?
7. The Three Kings visit once a year baby Jesus. I wish that the other 364 days they will take care of you and guide you and make you happy.
8. The smile on your face when you open your gifts is incomparable. That’s why you should always be a good girl and you will be rewarded by the three kings.
9. Let’s give a child a toy and they will give us a smile that will brighten our souls.That the union and peace will always be present with you.
Also Read | When is King Charles’ coronation? Emotional Prince Harry declines to say whether he will attend historic event
10. You can feel the excitement building up! With twinkling eyes, the children eagerly, and constantly ask what time it is, wishing for time to fly so they could open their presents. Reluctantly they go off to bed. As soon as they wake up, which is earlier than any other day, they run to see the gifts that the Three Magi left for them. Happy Three Kings Day!