Why is Akshay Kumar not attending Cannes 2022?
- Actor Akshay Kumar has tested positive for COVID
- He was supposed to walk the red carpet on the opening day of Cannes 2022
- The actor had previously tested COVID-19 positive last year in April
Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar, who was supposed walk the red carpet on the opening day of the 75th Cannes Film Festival as part of the Indian contingent, will be skipping the prestigious event after testing positive for COVID-19.
"Was really looking forward to rooting for our cinema at the India Pavilion at #Cannes2022, but have sadly tested positive for Covid. Will rest it out. Loads of best wishes to you and your entire team, @ianuragthakur. Will really miss being there," he tweeted on Saturday.
Apart from Akshay Kumar, actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui, music maestro A R Rahman, filmmaker Shekhar Kapur, and actor Pooja Hegde were also going to walk the red carpet on May 17 as part of the Indian contingent, which will be led by Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur. Deepika Padukone will be a jury member at the event.
The actor had previously tested COVID-19 positive last year in April.
“I wish to inform everyone that, earlier this morning, I have tested positive for COVID-19. Following all the protocols, I have immediately isolated myself. I’m under home quarantine and have sought necessary medical care. I would sincerely request all those that have come in contact with me to get themselves tested and take care. Back in action very soon," he had said at the time.
The 'Prithviraj' actor then revealed that he had also been hospitalised.
“Thank you everyone for all your warm wishes and prayers, they seem to be working. I am doing fine, but as a precautionary measure under medical advice, I have been hospitalised. I hope to be back home soon. Take care," he had said.