An Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) and devoted 14-year veteran of the Chicago Fire Department, died on Monday while combating a fire in Lincoln Park.

The 39-year-old man was identified as Andrew Price.

The 25-year-old Lincoln Station sports bar and grill was housed in a four-story building at 2430–2432 N. Lincoln Ave. at the time of the fire. When firefighters responded to a call of a kitchen fire in the restaurant, those living in the apartments above the bar were evacuated at around six in the morning.

Also read | Who is Kenneth Foster? Man spotted harassing Jews who were hanging posters of kidnapped Israeli civilians by Hamas

Who was Andrew Price?

Andrew Price was 39 years old. He was a 14-year veteran of the Chicago Fire Department. Price was a married man, and was recently stationed at the 2714 N. Halsted St. fire station.

According to the Chicago Fire Department, Andrew Price was rescued from the fire and was treated at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center. Sadly, he passed away there from his wounds.

Also read | Who was Noa Marciano? 19-year-old woman taken hostage by Hamas killed as confirmed by IDF

The buildings on the block of Lincoln Avenue, where the fire started, are all connected without any gangways in between and date from the late 19th and early 20th centuries, according to media reports. With only a front sidewalk and a back alley as alternatives, this arrangement made it difficult for workers to reach the roof using a ladder. Notwithstanding these challenges, the teams made up to the roof, and Price made a significant contribution to the combating of the fire by supplying airflow, among other things.

The four-story building’s roof is where Andrew Price was when he tragically fell through a light shaft, a section of the roof that lets light into the flats below, according to Fire Commissioner Annette Nance-Holt’s confirmation.

Also read | Who is Efe Ercelik? University of Massachusetts student assaulted Jewish student at Israel solidarity event

When firemen first arrived at Andrew Price, they found him to be responsive, according to Fire Department spokesman Larry McCormack. Price nodded to them when they arrived and moved his arm as a lieutenant asked him to.

Unfortunately, Price did not survive despite his initial responsiveness due to severe injuries.