Toasts to the best: The Golden Globes 2021 drinking game
- The award show is scheduled to start on March 1, 2021 at 6:30 am IST
- Golden Globes marks the first of the so-called 'award season', culminating ultimately in the Oscars
- A drinking challenge is a good way to mark the opportunity in 2021, especially in purview of the lack of social situations
It’s that time of the year again, and we’re not discussing Christmas. Golden Globe Awards 2021 is back, and along with it are back all the (in)famous drinking games one sees referred to in social media memes throughout the year.
Scheduled on March 1, 2021 at 6:30 am as per Indian time, the 78th edition of the show that celebrates American film as well as television’s finest, will make a return to our screen. Traditionally being the first wave of a series that practically continues till the Oscars and collectively forms the awards season, actors, directors and producers alike sure will hope to ride it all the way to the Oscar podium at the very last stop.
While the award show, in 2021, is slated to be completely virtual – much like every other major, celebratory event of the year – there are some fun games that the viewers can certainly enjoy, and allow themselves to indulge in to forget the fact that outings in a social setting, such as a pub, will most likely not materialise this year. And a heavyweight in that list is sure to be the Golden Globe drinking game, best enjoyed alone – or not, in case one wants to share their drink.
There are, however, some steps to prepare oneself before the games begin, and by far the most important part before any drinking challenge is not doing it on an empty stomach. Having a solid layer down there is important in case you want to make it to office the morning after the night before, especially in India, where March 1 is a Monday.
Which brings the discussion to the second point. By no way does this ask, condone or indicate one to take a leave the next day, but as a preemptive measure, it might be worthwhile to ponder over for some, especially those whose physical constitution do not take well any excess of alcohol.
A water bottle, and some kind of an energy bar for resupplying against hangover is an essential component of this game. With this, you’re all set, and ready to take on the challenge.
Bring out your champagne, of other choice of liquor, and get it going.
Take a sip:
· If Co-host Rickey Gervais ends up with a cringeworthy joke
· A winner says that they weren’t “expecting this”
· Whenever someone gets bleeped
· Whenever someone mentions ‘foreign press’ or ‘HFPA’ (Hollywood Foreign Press Association)
· Whenever An awardee mentions their spouse/partner in their speech
· Whenever a presenter fumbles up their lines, or face a teleprompter issue
Take a shot:
· Whenever a Gervais-joke absolutely bombs, or the audience groans
· Whenever someone brings out the ‘all-male nominees’ card
· Whenever any Donald Trump-leaving office references are made
· If Chloe Zhao takes it for Nomadland as Best Motion Picture, Drama or as Best Director
Take a big Chug:
· Whenever a totally unexpected winner is announced, in any category
· If anyone likens a real-life situation to any of the settings in the nominated TV series or films
· If Sacha Baron Cohen comes to the stage as Borat
· If Jason Bateman wins the Best Actor in a TV Series for Ozark
Down the bottle:
· If somebody trips on their way to the stage, two in case of the unlikely and unfortunate event of that person being Jennifer Lawrence